The CAD-ASC was founded in 1940, as the Inter-Provincial Association of the Deaf by the three major regional associations of the Deaf- the Western Canada, the Ontario, and the Eastern Canada Associations with the support of the Montreal Association of the Deaf. It was federally incorporated in 1948, and today includes membership of local, provincial and national Deaf associations from coast to cast.
The CAD-ASC provides consultation and information on Deaf needs and interests to the public, business, media, educators, governments and others. We conduct research and collect data, issue reports, and provide expertise regarding Deaf concerns and rights. We develop and implement pilot programs and “best practices.” We offer assistance to Deaf organizations and service agencies across the country, and also provide a major library and resource centre on deafness at our office in Ottawa, Ontario.